Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Me.


This is me.  





     I am no one special.  I don't live a big life.  I don't have a lot of money.  I am not a professional sort of anything- writer, photographer, traveller.  


     I am an Iowa girl who wants nothing more than to be able to wander from one beautiful place to the next, following in the footsteps of those I admire most: John Muir, Everett Ruess, Henry Thoreau, and so many more.  Since my reality doesn't exactly allow me to do this all of the time, I take road trips whenever possible to free my spirit.   


     There are a few things that you should know about me.  Most of the time I travel  low maintenance, which means you won't find reviews for fancy hotels, restaurants, or shops.  I always travel on a budget.  My favorite form of travel is by car and I camp whenever possible.  


     Nature is my primary form of entertainment.  Not only is it free but it is the place I go to feel like myself again.  I think every human has a similar desire inside of them; it's something that we're born with, something that has been in our DNA for hundreds of thousands of years.  There is a voice that calls us out to those wild places, a desire to connect with the unknown and the unfamiliar, and a longing to feel the freedom of an open sky.  


     In my picture I am standing by my first ever waterfall in Bryce Canyon National Park.  It's only about fifteen feet tall and falls into a dark little grotto of orange stone.  When the sun sets over the canyon walls, the water's true colors emerge.  What is white and shining in the sunlight turns a smooth aquamarine in the dusk.  This picture is of me during the second time I visited it, this past Spring of 2012.  I first came to Bryce Canyon in July 2010 but it was calling me back, so I had to go.


     The Southwest excursion is what I'll start off describing, and if everything goes well, I might backtrack and write about my past trips as well.  At this point, I have covered somewhere around 40,000 miles of road, some of it repeating, obviously- through various states, but one thing is for sure:  I was never the same person twice. 


     I have had people ask me how I manage to take the time away from my life, subtly inquire how I afford it, or how I find the places that I find.  Those questions have finally stirred me to start writing on a public forum rather than constantly journaling and keeping it all to myself.   Anyone can wander, anyone can step out of reality for a while, anyone can chase a dream and find beauty where they never thought possible.  They just have to want it bad enough.


     My hope is to not only use this blog as a sort of amphitheater for all of the outlets in my life, but also to inspire anyone who may be planning an escape of their own, or to add knowledge to a trip in progress.  I hope to fill these pages with advice and instruction that is lacking elsewhere.  As I went along doing research for my last trip I found some information disappointingly lacking.  But hey! That's one of the merits of the outdoors- the fact that there are still secret recesses that are barely explored; there are still new sights to behold.


     It might surprise you how much beauty and adventure is right at our fingertips, how much of it we have access to, how vast the acres become when you are roaming around inside of them, and how much of it truly is ours.  I'm never so proud of my country and where I was born than when I'm standing inside one of our National Parks.  If you are an advocate of them as I am, then you know what I'm talking about.  If you have yet to experience it, you will know soon.


     "Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not."  -Emerson


     

4 comments:

  1. You may not be special, but it has been very special knowing you. :)))
    -
    much love, light and laughter,
    A

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for all your kind words-- today and always! You've been such a sweet friend. :)

      Delete